VIDEO WORLD: “What Do You Know About Black History”
So… it’s been a while. I’ve been busy working my 9-5 and launching by profitable business Diva Delectables. In this time, there have been many a story I wanted to share my opinion on. Beyonce had a baby. Etta James passed. J. Cole wasn’t nominated for the “Hottest MCs of 2011” list. And more. But today, my friend Nia shared a video with me taped by a student at Brigham Young University. Just watch it.
Outside of the obvious offense of [BAD] blackface, I have a few comments to make about this video. I didn’t take it too seriously, but at the same time, it was kinda “chin-scratch-worthy.” Fine, you don’t know when the month dedicated to Black History is. That’s cool. Buuuut, here are some interesting facts from the video.
- Malcolm X was the head of the Black Panthers, apparently. And he was all about integration.
- Samuel Jackson… wait no, Will Smith and Tupac were historical figures.
- Celebration of Black History Month includes eating lots of fried chicken and grape juice. That’s a fact.
- Black people in Alabama are still “colored.”
- A White guy that acts like a Black guy is a tool. But a Black guy that acts like a White guys is classy.
Not taking into account where the video was taped (BYU), I wonder how many of these same “facts” could be found on other campuses or random streets in America.
Your thoughts? Was it more funny or offensive? Or is this just a video of “Shit Unexposed People Say?”